Lab apparatus is not flash proof
Taken from news://sci.chem in response to a question on chemical accidents
The lab manager where I worked about 5 years ago decided to try and fill a 10 mL sample bottle with n-pentane from a 2.5L Winchester. He placed the sample bottle on top of the UV-vs and started to pour (stupid I know), the vapour from the bottle descended into the UV-Vis, ignited and flashed back to the bottle. He then proceeded to run with the bottle through into the next room. Even more stupid, but I was in-experienced at the time, I took to it with a powder extinguisher, never again - next time I will smother it. We were still finding dry powder in the lab 18 months later.