Not a single incident - just the summary of a few related incidents in the past
Peroxides and related oxy compounds have the ability to give off oxygen with time. If this mixture is allowed to be present with flammable liquids then there is a strng possibility of a fire.
- As the oxygen is evolved, so it will mix with the solvent vapour at the liquid surface
- The high oxygen level will do two things - it will widen the explosive limits of the solvent, and it will reduce the energy needed to ignite the enriched vapour.
- The bubbles of oxygen bursting on the surface will give rise to a corona discharge, as the oxygen contents increases so the possibilty of this extremly weak spark igniting the solvent vapour increases dramatically.
Never leave aqueaous solutions of peroxides and peroxy salts in contact with solvents for any length of time, without some sort of adequate forced blanketing.